Our home is an extension of our personality. We all want a comfortable home. But we also wish our home to be elegant and beautiful, always… There is nothing more satisfying than having a home that is neighbours envy and owner’s pride. Isn’t it? Over the period of time our home too needs occasional touch up and renovations.
We need to discard a few and add in a few things to bring freshness to the space. Opting for refurbishing and changing the decoration, furniture and furnishing is an expensive affair. However, we can give our home a beautiful makeover without becoming a victim of consumerism. It is not necessary to replace the old with new in order to make a change.
Recycle is the new trend and it is good for environment too. So let’s adopt this new mantra and contribute in saving our environment and money.
In order to reconstruct your house, you have to be resourceful and creative, hence think upon the changes you want to bring while renovating your house. First of all pen down the things that you want to change. This will not let any of your ideas go undone.
1. Change Interior of your house- The exquisitive looks of your house will depend upon your smart choice of choosing an interior for your house. First of all, decide an interior theme for your house depending upon your personality and style. You could choose a same interior theme for the entire house or you could choose different themes. A better idea would be to choose a theme simple and neutral for some of the rooms of the house. If you need to take a guidance and can rely and love the tastes of an interior designer, you can hire for one.
2. Doors Create the First Impression
The first impression of your house is your door. If you are unable to change the door completely and if your existing door is in a good condition then you should repaint your door. Your doors could also affect the lighting of your room, and you could benefit from this great technique interior designed Amy Lau uses, “When dealing with a dark room, whatever color is used on the walls, I paint the ceiling, trim, and doors the same color but 50 percent lighter. Too much of one shade can overpower a space.” So, when renovating on a budget if you are repainting your door try to use different shades according to the concentration of light in your house to optimize the lighting of your house the way you want to.
3. The first thing that grabs our attention in any house is its walls. So keep it fresh and free from stains and damages. Paint it fresh with the colour of choice and enjoy your new home.
4. Change that worn out sofa cover with something new. Follow the latest trend and just see how different your home will look and feel.
5. Change the paint colours for walls- The best recommendation while choosing a paint colour is to look upon the facing of the windows and then altogether setting up a combination of colours based on the areas which receive sunlight and the areas which do not receive sunlight.
If a window is facing towards east, a better choice would be to choose cooler tones for that room. And if the window is facing towards west, one can go for warmer paint colours for those rooms. The choice of colours will make your home a perfect place for summers as well as winters.
6. Think of home furnishing and the first thing that comes to mind is the curtains. Although it will definitely bring more change if we hang new curtains, but even a freshly washed and fragrant curtains will bring a fresh change into the home.
7. Choose comfortable and soothing bedspreads for your elegant bedroom to enjoy some peaceful private time with your loved ones.
8. Add home enhancing decorations Plants can add to the bounty of your house. As they signify life. You can put plants both indoors and outdoors to enhance certain portions of your house. These are the type of objects that draw attention to themselves and they can be a subject of conversations for the first time visitors too.
Curtains can be used to bare windows to give these areas a certain look. While looking up for curtains, you could go for light coloured curtains with intricate designs .Make a smart choice while choosing for curtains. It is recommended that you avoid see- through materials. A better option would be to go for elegant materials such as natural silk, linen and cotton.
7. Paint Affects Lighting
As mentioned earlier painting affects lighting and when renovating your house you might opt for a new paint. In that case if you are already on a budget purchasing different colored pallets might seem counterintuitive. If you are on a tight budget then opt for a black and white palette, it will give your house a modern sophisticated look and you will have the guarantee that you can never go wrong with white or black.
8. Small Rooms don’t have to Look Small
If you are renovating to make a small house look bigger than an inexpensive and beautiful way of achieving that goal is to use mirrors. It’s an inexpensive technique but it’s used by one of the most famous architects of his time, Sir John Soane, who used mirrors in the breakfast room of his London house.
9. Kitchens and Storage
If you are decorating/renovating your house then you are probably trying to de-clutter and maximize your storage as well. Utilizing your kitchen to its maximum capacity can help you minimize your storage problems. In order to do this on a low budget you can either DIY kitchen cabinets or storages from recycled material at your house, or take advantage of thrift shops in your area.
10. If your budget allows customise your modular kitchen. In case you are low on budget, opt for pre-designed kitchens available across home improvement stores. While the design would remain the same, the kitchen will be sized based on your needs.
11. Spacious bathrooms and kitchen may be a trend, but don’t fall for it. Rather create compact spaces that would mean lesser construction material and lesser maintenance.
12. Light Comes through the Windows
According to Marc Appleton, “half the experience of living indoors is seeing the outdoors” So when remodeling your house install large windows. However, you might not have the budget to change your windows in that case play around with paint and paint your windows a shade lighter than the rest of the room to maximize the light coming through the windows.
13. Go for crown moulding- Crown moulding provides a room a sense of completion. It brings the ceiling and the walls together which makes a perfect sense i.e making of a perfect house out of an old worn-out house. The added advantage of crown moulding is that it does not incur high costs.
14. May be you have not noticed yet that the towels of your bathroom have lived their life. Change it to freshen up your spectacular bathroom.
15. So your love and creativity and knit the duvet for your family. They will feel the warmth of your love in it.
If the changes you incorporate keep your home organized and arranged, then it will surely make your life easy and comfortable here.
16. A well ventilated and well lit room naturally looks attractive and filled with positive vibes. But if it lacks in proper ventilation and lighting, a beautiful ceiling fan and aesthetic lights can add beauty to it.
17. Bathroom Renovation
You would be surprised at the number of inexpensive yet quality products you can purchase to renovate your bathroom. If you are looking to install new toilet fixture you can check our Toto Toilet, and if you are not planning to install any new items, you can fix up your existing toilet by changing the paint, changing cabinet paints and by fixing the pressure of shower etc.
18. Floor Renovation
If you are on a budget then floor renovation might seem expensive, and if you cannot find a flooring installation under your budget then you should invest in renovating everything else according to your floor design.
You will be surprised at the number of options you have once you start your research. The beautiful lamp that you liked at a high end store can be purchased at a lower price from elsewhere as well. So, when renovating your house on budget please remember that if you research to find the furniture you like, paint you want or the decorations you would like in your house, you are likely to find most of the supplies at an inexpensive price. Take advantage of online shopping, thrift stores and second hand furniture shops and see how far you will go.
Since you want to renovate your house economically it is important for you to decide the total expenditure requirements/limit. It is important to remember in budgeting that you cannot overestimate your budget, keep your budget underestimated and then move on to researching for things you need.
21. Planning to use glass separators in areas like bathroom, kitchen or even living room? You could pick less expensive options. While the living room, due to the aesthetics would need the glass separator, in the kitchen and bathroom, you could replace it with shower curtains. Available in varied colours and patterns, you could save some moolah.
22. Hardwood is preferred over carpets- Wall- to -wall carpeting in a home is a thing of past. Though it is warm and soft , but it does not provide a gleaming look to your house. In modern times there is no way for carpets if one wants to give his / her house a sophisticated look and not an outdated one.
23. Make the unused corner of your home the favourite hangout space for the family by just placing a few comfortable recliners there.
24. The well designed kitchen drawers play a vital role in keeping the kitchen organized and your life sane. These are compact and comfortable.
25. Accesorize your home- Accesories at home makes a mediocre house look extravagant. It is one of the simplest and easiest ways of giving an old house a modern look. Putting gold mirrors, gold made accessories etc. can enhance the luxury of one’s house. This is interesting and can make one’s house a luxurious place.
Everyone wants to design their house in such a way which reflects one’s style and personality. So it is a fruitful way to exhibit your luxurious lifestyle.
26. Separation of space according to requirements- Privacy is an important aspect of one’s life. Unlike the old house systems where most of the activities used to take in one place, the separation of spaces according to one’s requirement out of old spaces is preferred in modern times.
This can be made easy by making study room, other activities room a separated ones. Look you are renovating your house for comfort, so don’t forget to bring these changes which are a preliminary ones for enjoying comfort. Life can be made better this way!
27. Making moderations in kitchen- Got bored with an old kitchen which does not suit your purposes? Mark out the things that you want to change which can make your old kitchen appear like a modulated one. Inadequately and improperly building old cabinets can cause a problem while fixing out the household apparatuses properly.
If your cabinets and drawers dont provide the storage you need, purchase add-ons such as cutlery trays, roll – out shelving,smooth drawer glides etc. This can make your household things fix and hence you will be at ease and accustomed to it. Add a bit of luxury to your kitchen, fix all your electrical appliances in cabinet openings. It will make your kitchen spacious and also the moderated looks of your kitchen will give it a luxurious feel.
28. Making moderations in bathrooms- In modern times , the way people judge a house is centering more on the way bathrooms are been built in houses. Remove rust and polish away ugly old water stains. Then re- enamel your entire bathroom. The choice of the decorating colour will be your own.
A better recommendation is to replace old bathtubs with new iron cast bathtubs with matching basins, pedestals and accessories which suit your comfort and hence would make your bathroom a brand new place.